Your local green space or own back garden can provide a wonderful opportunity to connect with nature on a regular basis. Wildlife can be found in almost any patch of ground and there are plenty of things you can do to give nature (biodiversity) a helping hand and do your bit – e.g.
- Find out what plants and animals are already in your green space;
- Plant nectar rich flowers, native trees and shrubs to support wildlife (especially bees and butterflies);
- Create habitats for wildlife (e.g. wildflower meadows, wetland areas, bat and bird boxes, nooks and crannies for insects to shelter and breed);
- Create a feeding and drinking station for birds
- Start your own compost heap;
- Cut out harmful chemicals and manage pests by encouraging natural predators;
- Explore environmental issues such as growing your own food and supporting local produce